A “city weekly market” in Innsbruck was mentioned as far back as 1460 and was held at the beginning every Monday at the so-called “Gemeinen Platz” (community square), the crossing in front of the Golden Roof, and from 1587 at the “Rennplatz” in front of the Hofburg.
In 1679, the weekly market was relocated to the Innrain, and, according to a new market ordinance from 1791, was held on Tuesdays and Saturdays and made permanent on the grounds of the Innrain and Ursulinengraben of the subsequently established Marktgraben.
From 1880, this weekly market was permitted to be held daily and was established for fruit and vegetables on the front part of the Innrain, where eventually the “Alte Markthalle” of today stood.
The Markthalle Innsbruck comprises two buildings: the older Westhalle (Alte Markthalle – old market hall) with the address Herzog-Siegmund-Ufer 3, and the newer Osthalle (Neue Markthalle – new market hall) with the address Herzog-Siegmund-Ufer 1. The “Alte Markthalle” (Westhalle) was erected in 1913/1914 by the Pittl und Brausewetter company as a rectangular, north-south aligned hall on the right bank of the Inn at the front of the Innrain according to plans by the Innsbruck city planner Fritz Konzert.
The building represents an impressive Jugendstil construction – a three-aisled hall with a raised middle aisle, covered by a rather flat gable roof. The entrance side to the north side is divided in the lower part into five symmetrical basket-arch archways resting on gompholite pillars, of which only the two left-side arches are open. The three central arches – originally loading ramps – are coupled, with the two outside ones – originally entrances – detached.
Each wall between has an oculus with a relief above it: on the left, fish and rooster, on the right a fruit basket with corn and vegetable tendrils (probably by Andreas Hinterholzer).
Around 1950, Katharina and Erna Fuchs from Hötting were able to marvel at their first ever banana and even buy it – and then eat it!
On 3 October 1960, the “new” Markthalle was opened. The steel concrete building planned by architect Willi Stigler represented an extension to the already existing large market hall. Distinctive concrete ribs are constructed in front of the large paned walls, which serve as protection from the sun and give the “new” Markthalle its character. This building can be characterised as being of the “new objectivity” epoch and is a typical example of the industry construction of this period.
In the western direction, it is connected to the large market hall, in which the (farming) market women, who until now had worked outside under hard and unhealthy conditions, found a spot (the Farmers' Market). Trade, on the other hand, was designated to the “new” market hall (berth businesses and fixed stalls).
The market in late autumn: bright orange pumpkins. People warm themselves in the fog at a fire in an iron drum. Only a few yellow leaves still hang on the trees. The silhouette of the Johannes von Nepomuk church on the Innrain forms the background. As this painting was created in 1960, the days of the Innsbruck fruit, vegetable and flower market at this location were already numbered – Franz Schwetz (Salzburg 1910–1969 Innsbruck), Markt vor der Johannes von Nepomuk-Kirche am Innrain (Market in front of the Johannes von Nepomuk Church on the Innrain), 1960